Declutter Your House: FREE Challenge

Before we get started, I want you to know that it is 5 days until my wedding collection is released!!


I don’t know about you but I tend to think clearer when my home is organized.

Part of my 2016 goals are to get my home decluttered so that it looks and feels larger and I don't feel the stress of all the "stuff" surrounding me. I find that, especially in the winter months when I’m stuck in the house, it seems like there’s a bigger mess. The walls start to close in on me and I respond to it by purging everything. I look in corners and think, “How did we accumulate all this stuff?!”

Do your 2016 goals include decluttering the house? What is the area of your home that bothers you the most? 

Today I'm going to share with you my process for decluttering.


First, when I am very overwhelmed I find the best first step is to get three empty laundry baskets and go through each room in the home and, anything that doesn't belong there, it gets placed in a basket designated for the floor of the house it belongs to - or sometimes I just do this for my children's items that need to go back to their rooms.

I will spend a day doing that and at least it gets things to the right floor. When I’m putting it into the correct room, I’ll just put it in a corner of the room. This frees up the basket because I’m going to need it again later in the week. I’ll deal with the items later but at least they’re where they belong.

Second, I go room by room - and this isn’t all on the same day. I focus each task 15 minutes at a time so I feel I am succeeding against the war of the "stuff". I declutter and throw out any garbage that needs to leave the room. I also do a deep clean - a good dusting, use a damp cloth to wipe the baseboards and the curtains, clean the window and the screen. I may even polish the furniture because there are clean surfaces at that point! From there I go through each room or at least to where I’m happy where things are. Then it’s much easier to maintain.

Briefly, let's discuss how to handle sentimental items or collections. I have been saving a few outfits from when my children were babies. I have a few outfits for future grandchildren and I used to knit and sew a lot of their clothes so those pieces are special to me. In trying to find a way to honour these clothes, I decided that others may have the same collection so, I have developed a product line where I create quilts from t-shirts and children’s clothes to memorialize this special time of our lives. This could be an idea if you want to keep outgrown clothes - turn them into a quilt that you you can use every day. It will become a functional piece that is part of your daily life instead of shoved in a tote or bags at the bottom of the closet.

Another way that I mentally prepare for decluttering what I perceive as an item that may have value is, first I try to list the item on an online local buy & sell group or platform. I do set a goal, however, that if they do not sell by a certain date then I ensure that it gets moved into my trunk so I can drop it off at a donation station the next time I am out and about.

After decluttering and donation is over, the house seems so much bigger and I really hold onto my vision of how I will feel and be lighter emotionally and physically when it has all been removed.

If today's post inspires you, I have developed a FREE challenge that I would love for you to participate in!

It's an email series that will be delivered over a period of 10 days. About every two days you’ll receive an email prompt. The Challenge breaks down, in more detail, my process of putting things back where they belong and it goes through room by room. It will also teach you how to maintain it daily. I also discuss some options on what I do where the sentimental items and collections are concerned.

>>YES!! SHOW ME HOW TO 

FREE MY HOME OF "STUFF"!<<


Want more inspiration? Watch the original video on this topic I broadcasted on Periscope:

Labels: