First Week of Summer Break

First of all, HAPPY CANADA DAY to all my Canadians out there!!!
This is the first week home with the children since school let out.

Last week I was rushing about like a mad-woman decluttering the basement so that we would have a nice area to escape the heat and for movie time where I could get a little bit of a break and catch up on what I need to do. I barely got it done but it's definitely in good condition for them to play with lots of space!

On Sunday night I had a brainstorm on some teachable moments for the children as well as some help for me around the house. I want to instill good habits and keep them off electronics, not bored and also getting in some learning time while making it fun. Big goals, I know.

Sunday night we sat down and came up with a schedule for Monday (the first and the test day). They each wrote a list with my help. Monday looked like this:

8:30AM go for a walk or work out DVD if raining (30 minutes)
9:30AM library - sigh up for summer reading club, return books & videos, choose 1 chapter book each, pick up hold items
10:30AM snack
10:45AM weekly home blessing / cleaning hour
11:30AM set table, eat lunch, clean up from lunch
12:00PM nap (daycare children) and quiet activity (read for 20 minutes) then we can play a bit of Wii
1:20PM make homemade ice cream
2:00PM wake up time and outdoor recess / free play
3:00PM snack
3:30PM make schedule for Tuesday as a group

They are excited, I am excited, my timer is getting charged so we can keep the day moving along. It's going to be a great summer if it works!

How do you get stuff done and keep the kids day full and fun?

Labels: ,