Adventures in Falling Asleep

Bedtime has been an adventure for us since I was pregnant with my first child.

Many nights when I was trying to get comfortable in the later stages of my pregnancy, my daughter decided
she did not like the position I was in and would bang about inside me so hard that the mattress shook until I changed sides.


She is now well into being 8 years old and it is still an experience to calm her down for bedtime.

We have tried to do the "bath, book and bed" routine but baths seem to wind her (and her 6 year old brother) up. The best way we have found to help the children fall asleep is to read a book out loud while they are in their beds resting and then sitting quietly outside their doors to ensure they do not talk and wake each other up (their bedroom doors are right beside each other). I find after sitting still in the dark it makes me sleep so I go to bed shortly there-after. I guess this is one way to ensure an 8 hour sleep!

What does bedtime look like at your house? I'd love to read about your experience in the comments below.

Labels: , ,