The Crochet Dress

This dress is got to be the most frustrating. Not the pattern itself (or maybe it is the one with the error?) but the inevitable mistake on my part.

This is the dress I'm
attempting to make ...

It's a Vanna White pattern. There is also a matching sweater that I hope to make ... one day
... when I figure out the dress!

The first time I took it apart because it was too big and the sides were getting wider and wider as I went up.

Then I started it again but after a few rows gave up and put it away and when I picked it up again the guage was off from when I had started.

The THIRD TIME I picked it up I was at a course and wasn't focusing on measuring the actual length. As a result I have ended up with this ...
I thought I might be able to continue and make it for myself. But, sadly (or a good thing??), it's even too big on me!

See the measurement? It's supposed to measure 26 inches TOTAL. Not for half!


So now for the frog stage (rippit, rippit!). I'm going to be sad doing it but I am also more than determined to finish it and get it right. And it should only take a day or so now that it's going to be HALF the size it is now!!

I should say a thank you to my husband who, when I showed it to him asked which way was length/width and when I told him laughed at me hysterically pointed out the error of my ways. Wish me luck (and attention!) on my fourth attempt. I'll post the final product WHEN I get it done.

Have you ever had a project that took several failed attempts to get it right? If so, I'd love to hear what the project was and what inspired you to continue through the irritations of failing at first.

Labels: ,