Thanks to List Plan It for a list of ways to prepare your car for winter.
Get your car ready now while the weather is still decent so you are not caught stranded and unprepared.
- Find your scraper and put it in a convenient location.
- Locate your windshield wiper fluid or stock up at the store. Works great to remove a layer of frost in the mornings. If you live in a place that ices their roads, then you will need a heavy supply to clean off the gunk that coats your windows in the winter time.
- Put together an emergency winter weather kit to store in your car. Get a crate or a medium plastic box and fill it with the following: blanket, extra gloves, small snow shovel, flashlight, and a box of crackers or snacks.
- Replace your windshield wipers. They will be put to the test throughout the winter and you need them to work as well as possible.
- Check the tread on your tires. Replace tires that are becoming too worn for safely driving in winter conditions. If you live in a place that gets a lot of snow, you may want to consider snow tires.
- Don’t let your car get too low on gas. Try to get in the habit of filling up once you reach a quarter of a tank.
- Check your anti-freeze. Top off your radiator with a mixture of half coolant and half water.