A Solid Foundation in a Marriage

I've been evaluating and attempting to improve several areas in my life. Inevitably, marriage came up as an area to look at and make sure I'm giving it my all.

Corey is the author of Simple Marriage. I really appreciate how he shares his marriage experiences and asks questions that make me pause and consider how things really are in my own marriage. My hubby doesn't know this yet but he's going to be asked these questions randomly and without context from me ... I love to keep hubby on his toes ;)

Corey says that , "in the midst of struggle and crisis know that [marriage] is survivable. You can come out the other end better and more alive. ... And[,] ...be willing to stick it out through the tough times.

No marriage is immune to struggle - in fact, no life is either. I’m not an advocate of making your marriage work at all costs, if you are married to an abusive spouse or a habitual cheater then you are really putting yourself at risk by staying. But I do believe marriage is a big commitment and deserves a great deal of respect and effort.

My hope is that when the rough times come in your marriage, as I’m sure they will again to some degree in mine, you will step up, grow up, and work through it together.

A marriage fully alive doesn’t happen by chance - it’s designed by both of you."

Ah, such wisdom. Doesn't it make you stop and think that the small squabbles really aren't that bad and what it is all about to be in a loving relationship? Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a squabble here and there, but knowing that it isn't going to make or break our relationship because our foundation is built on so much more than that makes me feel secured and loved.

Labels: