Soaring Spirit Sunday

SECOND SUNDAY OF LENT
~CLEARING THE CLUTTER OUT OF MY WORK LIFE~

Mt 17:1-9; Mk 9:2-10; Lk 9:28-36 Peter’s reaction to seeing Jesus transfigured was to do something, build something. But God tells him and us, “This is my son. Listen to him.” In a culture where what we do is valued above who we are, listening to God is sadly neglected. This week, I will pray about the “clutter” of excess doing; about busy-ness, stress, and workaholism. Do I trust God with my work? Do I see myself as loved and valuable for who I am, not what I do?

MONDAY: BLESSINGS—OVERFLOWING, POURED INTO MY LAP
Dn 9:4b-10; Lk 6:36-38 Jesus promises blessings beyond belief when I give. To whom do I give my time and energy? Is it to career, work and chores? Is there anything left for God or people? Should I reorder my priorities?

TUESDAY: HEAVY BURDENS, HARD TO BEAR
Is 1:10, 16-20; Mt 23:1-12 Is there anyone in my life who has laid a heavy burden on my shoulders? Jesus promised that his yoke is easy and his burden light (Matthew 11:30). Are my burdens God’s will or the result of human selfishness?

WEDNESDAY: WANTING THE PLACE OF HONOR
Jer 18:18-20; Mt 20:17-28 Jesus told James and John that the greatest in the Kingdom is the humble servant. How much of my busy-ness is designed to gain a “place of honor”? Do I need to revise my thinking in this area?

THURSDAY: LIKE TREES PLANTED BY WATER
Jer 17:5-10; Lk 16:19-31 What a wonderful image—a tree planted by a running stream, always nourished, never in fear of drought. It is possible to live such a life by reading God’s word and praying often throughout the day. I, too, can be refreshed and fearless, no matter what happens.

FRIDAY: PRODUCING THE FRUITS OF THE KINGDOM
Gn 37:3-4, 12-13, 17-28; Mt 21:33-43, 45-46 The Kingdom will be given to those who produce the “fruits of the Kingdom.” What kind of “fruit” is my life producing? The lasting fruit of the Kingdom, or things that will not last beyond earthly life?


SATURDAY: GOD’S ARMS ARE OPEN WIDE
Mi 7:14-15, 18-20; Lk 15:1-3, 11-32 This parable could be called the parable of the faithful father. If I have realized this week that work and busy-ness are replacing my relationship with God, it’s time to come home to my Father.